Saturday, 19 November 2016

The Fuglies

I think I am certifiable!  Huh?  You say.  You already knew that didn't you?  😄 

But why am I making such a claim out in the Big Bad World of the Internet? 

Well 2 weeks ago when I was down at Cabarita at a Stitching Hearts meeting, I looked at the overflowing tubs of donated fabrics that No One uses, I thought I would do some damage to the florals.  So a bunch of fuglies came home with me.....

 Who in their right mind would pick up a huge bunch of ugly fabric and bring it home, eh?

The Pinks

The Blues

The Brights
I also bullied Jan into taking a bunch of apricots.  At least I gave her a choice of which pile she wanted.  Ha ha.

That same afternoon, on the way home Jan and I stopped at Craft Depot, the biggest patchwork fabric store anywhere within cooee.  At the counter, I noticed a magazine which had a photo on the front of it, and I was inspired.  Apologies to the publication and to the maker of the quilt, but the name of both escapes me.  If someone recognises this, give me a hoy and I will properly acknowledge it.

I came home and pulled the Brights out, and added a few from my stash too.  LOL


Some leaves and flowers were cut from Vliesofix and fused to the fabrics......


And in very short order, there was a quilt top.


 
One of the flowers....


And an upside down one....


And just in case you missed it, another shot.....


Really pleased with the way it turned out. 

I have a Plan for the pinks and the blues are already partly pieced - show you those next time.  I'm on a roll with those fuglies!  Funnily enough, me raiding the floral tub did little to diminish it.  Oh well, I've tried.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

13 comments:

  1. Wow Dasha this is amazing ,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic quilt top, you'd never know those were the last of the box choices! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No longer fugly - but very cute! Inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt you have made Dasha! Really lovely! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a magic wand or something? You can really, no I mean reeaaallly turn fuglies into beauties. When I looked at the pictures of the fabrics you pulled, I completely understood what fuglies meant. (I wouldn't call them by any other name!) But the work you have done is fantastic! I hope you will bring the top back to Stitching Hearts for show; you might inspire someone else to do the same. Who knows? Congrats! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that quilt too! Love what youve done although I quite liked a lot of your fuglies anyway lol
    This is delightful and a great way to mix n match flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well from where I am standing those fabrics look gorgeous! Great work with that quilt top - delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. love what you did with those fabrics. not fugly at all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely turned them into a beautiful swan. It is just lovely. Well done to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well they aren't fugly now, Dasha - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe all fabric is beautiful in the right project and you've proved that with this top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt (top) is a real beauty - wow you have transformed your fuglies!! Well done. Love the one in your previous post too; great what can be made out of scraps and rejects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your use of (other people's) scraps is so imaginative. The result is amazing! May I pin this to my Pinterest board?

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog