Sunday, 12 June 2016

Quickstepping

Carole, who blogs at From My Carolina Home, and who has been running the mystery quilts in which I have participated showed us a new quilt which she has called Scrap Dance Quickstep a week or so ago.

I was inspired!!

If you have read my blog before, you will know that I am given a lot of scraps by my friends - they all know I'm a scrappy quilter.  Well a few months ago, Robin, my friend from Stitching Hearts gave me a garbage bag full of scraps....

 
It has been sitting in my work room overflowing everywhere and thumbing its nose at me ever since, but I have been a bit daunted by the sheer volume in it.  I couldn't face dealing with it.
 
Having decided to do the Quickstep, the other day I pulled an arm load of strips, either already 2.5" in width, or ones I could trim down to that.   Here they are neatly piled on my sewing table waiting to be pieced.

 
Mine were not the neat WOF strips Carole used, nor were they co-ordinated at all.  So I decided to cut them down to a maximum of 11" to give me a really scrappy look. 
 
Pretty soon I had a bunch of these....

 
And then these....

 
But the pile of strips on my sewing table doesn't look like it's much smaller and it is now a great messy pile.  LOL.

 
I had my youngest grand daughter here after school on Thursday and she was helping me with this - pairing up strips for me to sew and ironing the blocks.  We had great fun.  And so quick with two of us working on it.
 
By Friday I had it all laid out on my design floor.

 
It needs at least one more row to go at the top.  I took my eyes off it for literally one minute, and Tibby had a field day.

 
I'm pretty chuffed.  From a bunch of disparate bits of fabric, some lots of which were just plain ugly, has blossomed a cute quilt.  Thank you Carole yet again for a great idea and for inspiring me to do something with that bag of scraps.  I am actually going to do a second one. 

Are you as inspired as I was??  Carole has uploaded a pattern with 14 setting designs and three sizes on the pattern to her Craftsy store here if you would like to make one.  Even if you don't want to make this quilt, go take a look at Carole's lovely blog, it has heaps of great tutorials, tips and techniques on it. 

The exciting thing that happened this weekend is that Carole sent me an email to let me know that she drew my name in a giveaway for a $50 gift certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop.  Woo Hoo!!  Hooray!!  Yippee!!  Bit of shopping up ahead for me by the looks of it.  Thank you, thank you, thank you Carole. 

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a great way to use up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Dasha! So happy to have you quilting along on all three Scrap Dance quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fabulous scrap quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daunting to sort but you have created a lovely quilt.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your scrappy quilt top, and the source of your fabrics. I often find I've used tons ... and there's still tons left. I just can't figure out how to USE THEM UP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great design and a lovely result Dasha. Congratulations on your win. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your win and thanks for the scrappy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dasha,wow i love what you are making with the scraps,you are very clever my friend .....

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog